Thursday, August 20, 2015

Best and Worst Websites #5

Seitai Doujou - OK
Seitai Doujou - Bad

My father-in-law is a massage therapist, practicing a mix of traditional eastern and chiropractic techniques, called seitai.  These are the websites I built for his business, which he runs out of a spare room.

Here's the story.  Yahoo dominates Japan's internet.  It's the king of search, obviously, but it's also the homepage of choice for most people, using it for news, email, shopping, and auctions.  Yahoo is a major internet and cellular service provider as well, its fiber optic connection is very popular for homes and businesses.  Finally, they are a web host, and still offer Geocities to Japanese customers.  My father-in-law had been hosting his business's site on Geocities for years, and its age was readily apparent.  I noticed that the image link he used for his logo was broken, and since I had been learning HTML & CSS through Codecademy, offered to fix it.

The first site I made was done by editing the HTML in the Geocities template selector.  It was incredibly difficult, since I had to do all the coding in a textbox on the website.  There was no CSS, so all styling was done inline, and I didn't know enough about web development to do anything more than a few lists and divs.  Luckily, everything worked and my new version was actually an improvement - all the important business information is easy to read and nothing is broken (except the hits counter, which has disappeared since I last checked it).

The second site was worse, unfortunately.  I wanted to start from scratch and drop the Geocities template altogether.  Again, my inexperience and lack of development tools got the better of me, and I ended up calling it quits after a few weeks of trying to implement the layout I had planned.  The site is still live, and all 90 or so lines of my broken source code are easily visible.  I know I can make a much better website now, and I have done better, but it's good to see where I was just a few years ago.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting to look at a site purely for aesthetics since I can't read most of the content. It's simple and what I assume to be easy to read. Everything is laid out in a way where whatever information you're looking for should be easy to find. It is much more appealing than the previous site. You did a great job at creating a nice looking page.

August 23, 2015 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home